For courses in Research Writing.
Celebrating 50 years of delivering current, detailed guidance on academic research and writing
The definitive research paper guide, Writing Research Papers: A Complete Guide combines a traditional but practical approach to the research process with the latest information on electronic research and presentation. Written by the original author’s son, this text remains the foremost handbook for current, detailed guidance about academic research, writing, and documentation.
Over the last two decades, the world of academic research has changed dramatically. Most research is now done online, which has not only put an almost unimaginable wealth of new sources at our fingertips, but has also brought challenges in evaluating source credibility and usefulness. Marking the 50th anniversary of Writing Research Papers: A Complete Guide, the 16th Edition confronts these new challenges and offers clear, detailed guidance to assist researchers as they struggle to keep pace with online research, electronic publishing, and new documentation formats.
Writing Research Papers: A Complete Guide, 16th Edition is also available via Revel™, an interactive learning environment that enables students to read, practice, and study in one continuous experience. Learn more.
1. Writing from Research
2. Finding a Topic
3. Organizing Ideas and Setting Goals
4. Gathering Sources Online
5. Gathering Sources in the Library
6. Conducting Field Research
7. Understanding and Avoiding Plagiarism
8. Reading and Evaluating Sources
9. Writing Effective Notes and Creating Outlines
10. Drafting the Paper in an Academic Style
11. Blending Reference Material into Your Writing
12. Writing the Introduction, Body, and Conclusion
13. Revising, Proofreading, and Formatting the Rough Draft
14. Works Cited: MLA Style
15. Writing in APA Style
16. The Footnote System: CMS Style
17. CSE Style for the Natural and Applied Sciences
18. Creating Electronic and Multimedia Research Projects